Australia’s Northern Territory has opened its door to low skilled migrants in 117 occupations by offering a new pathway to permanent residency for aspirants looking to work and live in the region for at least three years.
Came into effect from January 1st 2019, the scheme is known as the Designation Area Migration Agreements (DAMA).
With an aim to re-distribute Australia’s migrant population outside of major cities like Sydney and Melbourne, the Australian government has designed DAMA scheme to attract immigrants to regional areas across the country.
A number of occupations on the DAMA skilled occupation list are also entitled to concessions to the English language and Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT) requirements associated with Australia’s skilled migration program.
The NT Government and the Federal Government have shortlisted 117 occupations as suffering skill shortages, where employers can recruit foreign skilled workers if they are unable to fill positions locally:
|Accountant (General)||Early Childhood (Pre-primary School) Teacher||Motorcycle Mechanic|
|Accounts Clerk||Earth Science Technician||Nursing Support Worker|
|Aeroplane Pilot||Earthmoving Plant Operator (General)||Office Manager|
|Aged or Disabled Carer||Electrical Linesworker||Out of School Hours Care WorkerPanelbeater|
|Agricultural and Horticultural Mobile Plant Operator||Electronic Instrument Trades Worker (General)||Personal Care Assistant|
|Air conditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic||Excavator OperatorFacilities Manager||Pharmacy Technician|
|Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics)||Family Day Care Worker||Plumber (General)|
|Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical)||Family Support Worker||Pressure Welder|
|Aquaculture Farmer||Fitter (General)||Program or Project Administrator|
|Arborist||Fitter and Turner||Property Manager|
|Automotive Electrician||Fitter-Welder||Recreation Officer|
|Baker||Floor Finisher||Residential Care Worker|
|Bar Attendant Supervisor||Flying Instructor||Retail Manager (General)|
|Barista||Forklift Driver||Retail Supervisor|
|Beauty Therapist||Fruit or Nut Grower||Sales and Marketing Manager|
|Beef Cattle Farmer||Gaming Worker||Sheetmetal Trades Worker|
|Bookkeeper||Disabilities Services Officer||Ship’s Engineer|
|Bus Driver||Diver||Ship’s Master|
|Butcher or Smallgoods Maker||Hair or Beauty Salon Manager||Small Engine Mechanic|
|Cabler (Data and Telecommunications)||Hardware Technician||Supply and Distribution Manager|
|Cafe or Restaurant Manager||Hotel or Motel Manager||Taxation Accountant|
|Carpenter||Hotel or Motel Receptionist||Motor Mechanic (General)|
|Chef||Hotel Service Manager||Motor Vehicle or CaravanSalesperson|
|Chief Executive or Managing Director||ICT Customer Support Officer ICT Support Technicians||Motor Vehicle Parts and Accessories Fitter (General)|
|Child Care Centre Manager||Interpreter||Motor Vehicle Parts Interpreter|
|Child Care Worker||Landscape Gardener||Telecommunications Cable Jointer|
|Civil Engineering Technician||Licensed Club Manager||Telecommunications Linesworker|
|Community Worker||Linemarker||Telecommunications Technician|
|Conference and Event Organiser||Management Accountant||Therapy Aide|
|Cook||Marketing Specialist||Tour Guide|
|Cook (includes Ethnic Cuisine)||Metal Fabricator||Truck Driver (General)|
|Crowd Controller||Mixed Crop and Livestock Farmer||Vegetable Grower|
|Customer Service ManagerDeck Hand||Mixed Crop Farmer||Vehicle Painter|
|Dental Assistant||Mixed Livestock Farmer||Veterinary Nurse|
|Diesel Motor Mechanic||Waiter Supervisor|
|Waste Water or Water Plant Operator|
|Welder (First Class)|
How businesses are assessed as being eligible Northern Territory Designated Area Migration Agreement (NT DAMA)
The Northern Territory (NT) Government takes into account all of the following factors to verify the eligibility of businesses that they can use the Northern Territory Designated Area Migration Agreement (NT DAMA).
- If employers are operating and located in the NT:
- their businesses must have been actively operating for at least 12 months
- the positions to be filled must be located in the Northern Territory
- What their workforce needs are:
the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation will assess the employers’ current and future workforce requirements to check which occupation(s) and concession(s) requested will be approved under the NT DAMA
- the number of positions that can be nominated for each occupation and for each concession
- the endorsement to access the NT DAMA is valid for five years, but the endorsement of occupations and numbers of positions to be filled is valid for one year. Employers aim to access more foreign workers will have to apply to the department for endorsement of occupation(s) and the number of vacant positions each year.
- Businesses need to demonstrate that they are unable to employ an Australian citizen or permanent resident to fill the position along with providing evidence that the terms and conditions of employment are in line with Australian workplace standards – they must be no less than what an Australian would be paid to undertake the same job in the same location.
- Businesses looking for endorsement for the English or Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold concessions are required to establish why the concession(s) are needed for the position(s) they are trying to fill.