Common-Law Partner Visa

As per the Common-Law Partner visa, Canadian citizens and permanent Canadian residents are entitled to sponsor their common-law partner and (eligible) dependent children. This visa permits the applicants to be sponsored if they have been residing with their qualifying Canadian partners for one (1) year or more in a continuing relationship with an intention to live together in Canada.

On approval, the Canadian partner must be agreeable to live in Canada with the applicant, besides being capable of supporting the applicant without any access to public funds. Once approved, the common-law partner will be allowed to enjoy permanent residence and the right to join their sponsoring partner in Canada.

Common-Law Partner Visa Basic Requirements
This visa is applicable for both same-sex and opposite sex couples. In order to apply for the Common-Law Partner visa, applicants should be able to produce authentication of an ongoing and genuine relationship. They should be able to establish that the sponsor and the applicant have been residing together at a common address for at least 1 year, in Canada.
The sponsor should agree to sign an undertaking stating to provide for all of the applicant’s basic needs for at least 3 years from the partner’s arrival to Canada. Undergoing health and character checks prior to the arrival is mandatory for all common-law partners.

Common-Law Partner Visa Entitlements
Common-law partners, enjoying the permanent residence under the Family Class are entitled to live, study, and work in Canada for an indefinite period (until further notice). They have the access to Canadian government-funded health care, language training programs, subsidized education and assistance with employment. Further they are also eligible for benefits that make them eligible for Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan Benefits and Guaranteed Income Supplement. Additionally, it also allows the visa holders to participate in retirement plans such as Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSP). They may also apply for Canadian citizenship.

Free Assessment

Get your profile evaluated to know your chances to settle abroad

Feedback & Support