Quebec Skilled Worker Program

Quebec provides new details on Expression of Interest ranking system Quebec will consider U.S. work experience among ranking factors
August 1, 2018

The new system for the Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP) will replace the current first- come, first-served application process.

The process of applying immigration under the Quebec Skilled Worker program consists of the following steps:

  1. Submission of an Expression of Interest to settle in Quebec and entry into Quebec’s Expression of Interest Bank.
  2. Successful selection from the Quebec Expression of Interest Bank results in an invitation to apply for the QSWP.
  3. Submission of an application for a Quebec Selection Certificate, or certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) to the MIDI.
  4. Submission of a Canadian permanent residence application to the Federal Government.

After submitting an Expression of Interest to MIDI, candidates will be entered into the Quebec Expression of Interest Bank.

The candidates confirming the requirements, cut-off thresholds and passing scores for the program will be considered for selection.

The ranking system considers work experience in the United States, making Quebec’s the only immigration system in Canada that currently considers U.S. work experience during the process of ranking candidates.
Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP) candidates who submit their profile to the program’s new Expression of Interest Bank will be classified in two groups:

  • Group A – Candidates with a job offer or who are living in Quebec meeting specific criteria
  • Group B – Candidates living outside of Quebec
Group A Group B
The first group is for candidates who The second group is for candidates who do not reside in Quebec
  • Have a job offer in Quebec; OR
  • Are residing in Quebec with the aim of working and have a work permit along with an eligible degree from a Quebec educational institution; OR
  • Have a work permit that is valid for 12 months or more, six-months of full-time
  • work experience and are currently Working full -time.
Ranking on the basis of scores obtained under the following factors:

  • Age
  • Quebec degree
  • Canadian or U.S. work experience
  • Proficiency in French
  • Knowledge of other languages
  • Education
  • A spouse or common-law partner’s
    education and proficiency in French
Ranking on the basis of scores obtained under the following factors:

  • Age
  • Quebec degree
  • Canadian or U.S. work experience
  • Proficiency in French
  • Knowledge of other languages
  • Education
  • A spouse or common-law partner’s
    education and proficiency in French
  • Training that Quebec has listed as in- demand

Candidates in both groups will also receive points for the following “Skill Transferability” combinations:

  1. Education along with proficiency in French (either their own or, if applicable, their spouse’s — whichever score is highest);
  2. Education combined with work experience in Canada or the US and proficiency in French;
  3. Foreign work experience combined with proficiency in French;
  4. Foreign work experience combined with work experience in Canada or the U.S. and proficiency in French.

Quebec has not detailed the point’s structure for the various factors and skills combinations.

The regulations state that Quebec’s Ministry of Immigration (MIDI) could issue invitations to apply for a Quebec Selection Certificate (Certificat de sélection du Québec, or CSQ) to the highest scoring candidates or based on selection criteria or conditions that are deemed a priority.

According to the Revisions to Quebec’s Immigration Act, invitations could be issued based on “criterion relating to a foreign national’s ability to successfully stay or settle in Quebec, such as training or a trade or occupation.”

Other criteria may include “a region of destination in Québec, a country or region affected by a humanitarian crisis or the existence of an international commitment.”

Candidates who receive an invitation to apply for a CSQ and submit an application will need to meet the passing scores required for the program based on the QSWP Points Grid.

Free Online Assessment

Free Assessment

Get your profile evaluated to know your chances to settle abroad


Our Most Frequently Asked Questions!!

  • Q1. What is a Canada Immigration Visa?
  • It is a document that permits a person to work and live in one of the Canadian province or territory. It comes with several responsibilities and may be revoked in case the holder does not obey the Canadian residency obligations or is found guilty of conducting criminal activities in the country.

  • Q2. When can I obtain citizenship of Canada?
  • The Canadian Citizenship can typically be obtained after a period of three years of Permanent residence in Canada.

  • Q3. What is a Canadian Permanent Resident Card?
  • A Canadian Permanent Resident Card is a small, secured plastic card which contains the cardholder’s personal details and confirms the holder’s status as a Permanent Resident of Canada.

  • Q4. Is dual citizenship recognized in Canada?
  • Yes. Since 1977, the Canadian country has permitted its citizens to hold multiple or dual citizenship. This means that a citizen of Canada will not lose his/her Canadian citizenship in case he/she retains his/her native nation’s citizenship.

  • Q5. What is the Canadian Experience Class Program?
  • The Canadian Experience Class Program is an immigration category that permits temporary international workers to work in the country with a Permanent Resident Visa of Canada.

  • Q6. What is a Provincial Nominee program?
  • The Provincial Nominee program was instituted by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to permit different provinces and territories of Canada to select individuals who have required skills and experience for filling in the position of work which cannot be done by existing workforce in Canada and further contribute to the economic development of the country. Most territories and provinces within the country take part in the Provincial Nominee programs.

  • Q7. Can an individual apply for a Temporary Work Permit and a Canada Immigration Visa?
  • Yes. An individual can apply only for a Temporary Work Permit or in combination with an application for an immigration visa. CIC recognizes dual intent, whereby an individual can work in Canada on temporary basis and thereafter live and work in the country permanently.

  • Q8. Do students need a student visa for pursuing a short term course?
  • The need for a student visa majorly depends on the length of the course. If the course duration is less than six months, then there is no need for a student visa. However, if the course duration is more than six months, you must apply for a student visa.

  • Q9. Is there an eligibility occupation list under the Federal Skilled Worker Visa category?
  • No, there is no eligibility occupation list prevalent at this time under the Federal Skilled Worker Visa category. Applicants of this category must have a minimum one year work experience in the last 10 years in a National Occupation Classification (NOC) code types O, A and B.

Feedback & Support