Skip to content


If you are not from a visa-waiver country, you will have to apply for a visitor visa before you come to New Zealand. Requirements: When you apply for a visitor visa, we are required to:

  • Be in good health
  • Be of a decent character
  • Your visitor’s visa is relevant to the purpose of your visitation to New Zealand
  • You are a bona fide visitor travelling for temporary reasons.

Your passport
You will need to give your passport along with your application for visa. The passport must be valid for at least three months past the date you are to leave New Zealand You passport can also be valid for one month past the date you intend to leave if the government issuing your passport has consular representation in New Zealand.

Proof that you plan to leave New Zealand
You will have to prove that you intend to leave New Zealand before the visa expires by:

Travel tickets (confirmed or open-dated) out of New Zealand.

Written confirmation from an airline or travel agency that onward travel has been booked and has been paid for.

Or any other non-refundable travel arrangements which are made at your own risk.

Proof of funds
You will have to show your bank documents or any financial documents that will prove what you have enough money to support yourself during your stay.

You need to have a minimum of:

NZ$1000 per person per month of the visit,

NZ$400 per person per month if accommodation has already been paid for (with evidence of prepayment, such as hotel prepaid vouchers etc).

Funds can be in the form of:

Cash, traveler’s cheques, bank drafts, recognized credit cards with sufficient credit available (preferably with an up-to-date credit card statement).

A declaration by a sponsor that they will pay for your accommodation and maintenance is also accepted.

Who cannot get a visa?
Any traveler who does not meet the basic requirements listed above.

Any person with a criminal record Section 15 & 16 of the Immigration Act 2009 explains what disqualifies such a person.

Visa will be denied if your application is incomplete at the time of submission or if you submit false information in the application.

How long can I stay?
The maximum stay under a visitor visa is usually nine months in an period of 18-month.

Visa-waiver visitors
If you are a visitor from a visa-waiver country, you can apply for a visa on your arrival by filling in an arrival card. You will still have to meet the standard health and character requirements. However, this will be done with a declaration on your arrival card.

You will be allowed to stay for three months (or six months if from the UK) on each visit, but not more than six months in any 12-month period.

If you decide to extend your stay longer than your visa allows, you will have to contact the authorities.

What about my family?
Your application can cover your spouse or partner, and any children who are dependent up to the age of 19. Children over 20 are consider non-dependents. They will have to apply separately.

Dependent children of Essential Skills work visa holders
Visitor visa applications for dependent children of visa holder, who fall under “Essential Skills” work visa, will have to show evidence that the parent who has the “Essential Skills” work visa meets a minimum income requirement.

Special visitor categories:
The requirements differ for visitors who fall under this category. Some may be given a limited visa and some may be required to pay a bond.

Medical insurance
It is recommended that the visitor has a comprehensive medical insurance for the duration of his stay. However, if you are from the UK or Australia, you will receive the same medical coverage immediately as a New Zealand citizen or resident receives.

During your stay:
You will not work while you are in New Zealand, unless you obtain a work visa.

You may not study for more than three months while you are in New Zealand unless you are on student visa.

You will abide by all the New Zealand’s laws.

You are allowed to stay only in New Zealand for the time allowed by your visa.

Breach of any of the above will make you liable for deportation.

Back To Top