Skip to content

Canada Family Visa

Canada encourages family reunification. The Family Visa programs that Canada offers range of programs and opportunities for Canadian citizens and permanent Canadian residents to sponsor family members to live in Canada.

Spousal Visa
A person who is a Permanent Resident of Canada can sponsor a person as his/ her spouse if that person is married to the Permanent Resident (and the marriage performed in a legal service). A marriage between two persons of the same sex will also be recognized for immigration purposes, if the marriage was legally performed in Canada, or was performed outside of Canada in a country where marriage between two persons of the same sex is legally recognized.

Dependent Child Visa
Canada encourages familial ties. The Dependent Child visa is intended to reunite children with their

Canadian parents. This visa allows Canadian citizens and permanent Canadian residents to apply to sponsor their or their partner’s dependent or adopted children who are of 19 yrs of age or below. Once approved, dependent children can join their sponsoring parent(s) in Canada. Dependent children can enjoy permanent residence and can live, study and work in Canada.

Common-Law Partner Visa
By applying for the Common-Law Partner visa, eligible applicant can stay with his/her partner (same and opposite sex) in Canada. According to this program, Canadian citizens and permanent Canadian residents can sponsor their common-law partner and (eligible) dependent children. The sponsor should intend to live with applicant and support his/her financially. Once approved, the applicant can live, study and work in Canada for an indefinite period.

Conjugal Partner Visa
Partners separated by war, discrimination or any other legal barriers can reunite via Conjugal partner Visa. This visa allows eligible (same and opposite-sex) partners to stay with his/her Canadian partner. As per this program, Canadian citizens or permanent Canadian residents can apply to sponsor their conjugal partners and dependent children. Upon approval, the applicant can enjoy permanent residence and is entitled to live, study and work in Canada.

Parental & Grandparental Visa
A Parental and Grandparental visa program allows parents and grand-parents to be sponsored by their Canadian children and grandchildren to live in Canada. The sponsors should be Canadian citizens or permanent Canadian residents. CIC will open the registration under this program in starting of every year, but only those whose number is randomly selected can apply under the program. The Canadian sponsor should be prepared to live in Canada with the applicant and support them monetarily without having any access to public funds. On approval, the applicant will be permitted to live study and work in Canada, in addition to permanent residency.

Remaining Relative Visa
Fostering the family reunification policy, Canada offers Remaining Relative visa to reunite families. Canadians who do not have any immediate family relatives in Canada or abroad, can sponsor an extended relative from abroad. Through this program, Canadian citizen and permanent Canadian resident is allowed to sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship under the family category. Upon approval, the remaining relative will be entitled for permanent residency, work and study in Canada.

Family-Based Provincial Nominee Visa
This Family-Based Provincial Nominee visa program allows permanent residents or Canadian citizens located in specified provinces to sponsor their eligible relatives for permanent residency in Canada.

The list of provinces includes:

  • Manitoba
  • New Brunswick
  • Newfoundland
  • Nova Scotia
  • Saskatchewan
  • Prince Edward Island

On approval, applicants are allowed to live, study and work in Canada.

As per the Common-Law Partner visa, Canadian citizens and permanent Canadian residents are entitled..
+ Read More.

Individuals coming to Canada as permanent residents or temporary foreigner with work permit..
+ Read More..

Canada encourages familial ties, hence offers the Family-Based Provincial Nominee visa…
+ Read More.

Canada promotes the concept of uniting families. To establish the same, the Citizenship and Immigration..
+ Read More..

The Family Class Visa allows citizens and permanent residents of Canada to sponsor their spouse, parents..
+ Read More..

Our Most Frequently Asked Questions!!

Q1. What is a Canada Immigration Visa?

It is a document that permits a person to work and live in one of the Canadian province or territory. It comes with several responsibilities and may be revoked in case the holder does not obey the Canadian residency obligations or is found guilty of conducting criminal activities in the country.

Q2. When can I obtain citizenship of Canada?

The Canadian Citizenship can typically be obtained after a period of three years of Permanent residence in Canada.

Q3. What is a Canadian Permanent Resident Card?

A Canadian Permanent Resident Card is a small, secured plastic card which contains the cardholder’s personal details and confirms the holder’s status as a Permanent Resident of Canada.

Q4. Is dual citizenship recognized in Canada?

Yes. Since 1977, the Canadian country has permitted its citizens to hold multiple or dual citizenship. This means that a citizen of Canada will not lose his/her Canadian citizenship in case he/she retains his/her native nation’s citizenship.

Q5. What is the Canadian Experience Class Program?

The Canadian Experience Class Program is an immigration category that permits temporary international workers to work in the country with a Permanent Resident Visa of Canada.

Q6. What is a Provincial Nominee program?

  • The Provincial Nominee program was instituted by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to permit different provinces and territories of Canada to select individuals who have required skills and experience for filling in the position of work which cannot be done by existing workforce in Canada and further contribute to the economic development of the country. Most territories and provinces within the country take part in the Provincial Nominee programs.

Q7. Can an individual apply for a Temporary Work Permit and a Canada Immigration Visa?

Yes. An individual can apply only for a Temporary Work Permit or in combination with an application for an immigration visa. CIC recognizes dual intent, whereby an individual can work in Canada on temporary basis and thereafter live and work in the country permanently.

Q8. Do students need a student visa for pursuing a short term course?

The need for a student visa majorly depends on the length of the course. If the course duration is less than six months, then there is no need for a student visa. However, if the course duration is more than six months, you must apply for a student visa.

Q9. Is there an eligibility occupation list under the Federal Skilled Worker Visa category?

  • No, there is no eligibility occupation list prevalent at this time under the Federal Skilled Worker Visa category. Applicants of this category must have a minimum one year work experience in the last 10 years in a National Occupation Classification (NOC) code types O, A and B.
Back To Top