Skip to content

New Zealand Work Visa

In a fast developing country like New Zealand, there is a constant need for highly educated and skilled workers in all sectors of economy. To facilitate the growing need of skilled workers, the department of Immigration New Zealand has streamlined a skilled migrant visa category.

The Skilled Migrant Category offers skilled workers from all over the world an opportunity to New Zealand to work and gain Permanent Residence. To be eligible to apply under the Skilled Migrant visa category, an individual must meet the basic eligibility criteria. You must: –

  • be between the age bracket of 22 (should be 20) to 55 years.
  • be fit and healthy.
  • be of good character with no terrorist or criminal records
  • have proficiency in both written and spoken English
  • be registered with an appropriate professional body of your occupation.

Application Process
Submit an Expression of Interest
Submitting an Expression of Interest is the first step to applying for a Skilled Migrant visa category. The form outlines your general background information and consists of a skilled worker point system. You must claim points on the basis of your a ge, qualifications, skills, work experience, and (close relative in New Zealand) etc. The first section of the form requires standard immigration information to help Immigration New Zealand ensure that you are of good character, fall in the defined age bar, are in good health, and that you do not present any security risk to New Zealand and its citizens.

The EOI Pool Draw
Once you submit your Expression of Interest against your Skilled Migrant visa, it is then put into the selection pool in case you have a job offer or your points total up to 100 or more. Applicants with 140 points or more are automatically selected to apply for the skilled worker immigration visa category. If there still remain some vacancies, Immigration New Zealand selects as many additional applicants with 100 points or more as possible during their fortnight selections.

Information on the Expression of Interest form is thoroughly check and verified at this stage. Applications with misleading information or those that are incomplete are rejected and send back to the applicant. On the other hand, selected applicants are sent an Invitation to Apply.

Your Invitation to Apply
Applicants who have been selected from the EOI pool are sent an official Invitation to Apply (ITA) At this stage, the applicants will be required to furnish evidences against the claims made in their Expression of Interest form including police clearance certificates, medical reports, proof of English language proficiency and other documents related to your education, skills, work and experience, passports and the applicable fees.

Assessment & Approval
Once an application has been received, it is assessed for New Zealand’s Permanent Residence. Apart from verifying that the applicant meets all the skilled migrant visa requirements, he/she is further assessed on his/her intended ability to settle successfully in New Zealand. At this stage, some applicants may also be called for a round of interview at the New Zealand Embassy.

If an applicant successfully passes all the over mentioned stages and has proved his/her ability to settle in New Zealand and contribute significantly to its economy, the applicant is offered a residence visa or permit. Some applicants may receive a work to residence permit instead, which will give them a period of nine months to obtain employment in New Zealand.

Planning to migrate to New Zealand? Allow WWICS Global Resettlement Solutions, a leading immigration consultant, help you obtain a skilled worker visa to New Zealand. We house a team of experts who can guide you through the entire immigration process and help obtain a visa in the shortest possible time. Pay a visit to our relevant links for extensive information about New Zealand skilled work visas and immigration to New Zealand, in general.

Skilled Migrant Category (SMC), the first step is submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI). In EOI applicant mentions about self, family and also declares points for skills, experience, and other relevant factors..
+ Read More..

Our Most Frequently Asked Questions!!

Q1. What is a Canada Immigration Visa?

It is a document that permits a person to work and live in one of the Canadian province or territory. It comes with several responsibilities and may be revoked in case the holder does not obey the Canadian residency obligations or is found guilty of conducting criminal activities in the country.

Q2. When can I obtain citizenship of Canada?

The Canadian Citizenship can typically be obtained after a period of three years of Permanent residence in Canada.

Q3. What is a Canadian Permanent Resident Card?

A Canadian Permanent Resident Card is a small, secured plastic card which contains the cardholder’s personal details and confirms the holder’s status as a Permanent Resident of Canada.

Q4. Is dual citizenship recognized in Canada?

Yes. Since 1977, the Canadian country has permitted its citizens to hold multiple or dual citizenship. This means that a citizen of Canada will not lose his/her Canadian citizenship in case he/she retains his/her native nation’s citizenship.

Q5. What is the Canadian Experience Class Program?

The Canadian Experience Class Program is an immigration category that permits temporary international workers to work in the country with a Permanent Resident Visa of Canada.

Q6. What is a Provincial Nominee program?

  • The Provincial Nominee program was instituted by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to permit different provinces and territories of Canada to select individuals who have required skills and experience for filling in the position of work which cannot be done by existing workforce in Canada and further contribute to the economic development of the country. Most territories and provinces within the country take part in the Provincial Nominee programs.

Q7. Can an individual apply for a Temporary Work Permit and a Canada Immigration Visa?

Yes. An individual can apply only for a Temporary Work Permit or in combination with an application for an immigration visa. CIC recognizes dual intent, whereby an individual can work in Canada on temporary basis and thereafter live and work in the country permanently.

Q8. Do students need a student visa for pursuing a short term course?

The need for a student visa majorly depends on the length of the course. If the course duration is less than six months, then there is no need for a student visa. However, if the course duration is more than six months, you must apply for a student visa.

Q9. Is there an eligibility occupation list under the Federal Skilled Worker Visa category?

  • No, there is no eligibility occupation list prevalent at this time under the Federal Skilled Worker Visa category. Applicants of this category must have a minimum one year work experience in the last 10 years in a National Occupation Classification (NOC) code types O, A and B.
Back To Top